Salmonellosis is a bacterial food poisoning that is caused by bacteria of the genus Salmonella. Symptoms can appear 12-72 hours after ingesting the bacteria, which can be passed from mice to humans through infected stool. Basically this means that if you have a mouse infestation and 1 (or more of them have this bacteria) and they use the food in your cupboards as a bathroom and you well...hopefully you get the idea.
Generally, the illness will only last 4-7 days and most people will recover without the treatment of a doctor, however sometimes the patient can become severely dehydrated and should seek treatment at a hospital. Patients who end up in the hospital may receive I.V. fluids to treat the dehydration, and may be given medications to provide symptomatic relief.
In very severe cases, the infection may spread from the intestines to the bloodstream and could continue spreading to other body sites which if left untreated, could cause death.
The people most likely to suffer from severe cases of salmonellosis include the elderly, infants and small children and anyone with a weakened or impaired immune systems.
Symptoms of salmonellosis include:
- Rose spots
In order to prevent possibly getting salmonellosis (at least from mice), it's important you take steps to get rid of an infestation if you know you have one and if you aren't quite sure, take the steps to confirm or not. Cottage Country Pest Control can help and we can do it using environmentally responsible ways. Contact us through email or call us at 705-534-7863 to book your appointment today.