Bedbugs freak me out. I have enough trouble sleeping in motels but the thought
of bedbugs would keep me up all night. What's a squeamish traveler to do??
You're in luck. Unlike some other nasties, bedbugs are relatively easy to see:
(Image from Imprint, Bell Museum of Natural History)
If you are travelling and concerned about bedbugs (and you should be, as they're very happy hitch-hikers) ...as soon as you get into your hotel/motel room (or friends or family or wherever):
- leave your luggage by the door - away from the bed!
- completely strip the bed, (me, I would include any mattress cover as well) placing the bedding someplace other than where you've put your luggage
- carefully examine the mattress, paying particular attention to corners, seams, and in the cracks of any furniture
- bedbugs are large enough to see - and they also tend to leave dirt behind
- if you see any possible indications of either - exit stage left, get your money back and find someplace else to stay